Modelling & Simulation Software
Modelling and simulation software can simulate hardware, software and
environmental aspects, and has a key role in:
- Supporting development phase testing (as often the real systems are not yet
developed or available)
- Supporting post launch mission operations with problem diagnosis and verification of
software prior to uplink to the spacecraft
- Enabling the scientific performance of the system to be evaluated
(including analysis of errors and their propagation)
Because of the high cost of space operations and its remote operating
environment, the ability to model the space environment and simulate missing
elements of the instrument or spacecraft prior to launch is an essential
activity. Modelling and simulation software can be very complex, and involve
high level scientific analysis, especially where scientific environments are
modelled. Modelling and simulation software functionality commonly includes:
Similarly to flight software, a large degree of this software functionality is
required to be real-time, involving a multi-tasking implementation.
- Simulation of the spacecraft central data handling system and other missing
- Generating input and output behaviour of modelled or simulated system,
including possible failure scenarios.
- Allowing suitable control of specific environmental or functional aspects
of simulated systems.
- Providing feedback of internal parameter states for decoding and display
and correlation with other system behaviour.